Eko International Film Festival is one of the largest film festivals to take place in Africa. Since inception, it has grown to becoming a key part of our cultural infrastructure: it inspire audiences, artists, filmmakers and professionals from other parts of the world.
The 7th edition of the annual Eko International Film Festival is, in collaboration with the United States Embassy having an American Documentary Showcase during the festival period which is set to kick off from Monday, October 24 through Saturday, October 29, 2016
This program is coming out from The US State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). The American Film Showcase (AFS) hence is providing a platform for both PAS and our partner organization to explore important themes such as freedom of expression, conflict resolution, civil rights, climate change, disability rights, economic development, and women empowerment, and through this program engage and empower key audiences, especially the youths and marginalized communities.
The film envoys team consists of two film professionals: A filmmaker and a film expert. The film-maker would have made a feature film included in the AFS collection and the film expert is an experienced film maker, academic or film industry professional to handle the master class.
(a). Ozone Cinemas, Commercial Avenue, Yaba.
October 21, 2016. Time: 10am - 4pm,
(b). Silverbird Cinemas, Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos.
October 24, 2016. Time: 10am - 4pm.
We are also to address issues such as:
• The value of diversity
• Civil society engagement
• Conflict mitigation and the empowerment of the youth
• Women and girls
• Countering violent extremism through youth engagements
The programs will also include film screening and workshops centered on capacity development for the creative film industry in Lagos.
Bearing in mind that millions of Nigerians who identify with the Nigerian film industry popularly known as #Nollywood, and considering the size and diversity of Nollywood.
• University of Lagos Mass Communication and Theater Art.
• Yaba College of Technology students, invited guests including women and children to view and have an interactive session with the speakers.
• Including College of Educations and College of Technology around Lagos
• Nollywood film Practitioners and celebrities will be part of the Master Class
• Motion Pictures Practitioners Association of Nigeria (MOPPAN), Nollywood Actors and Actresses, Independent Television Producers Association of Nigeria (ITPAN), Association of Movie Practitioners (AMP).
• Students of the film department at Pan Atlantic University Lagos, women and the students of Holy Child Girls Secondary School Lagos.
• Several NGO's are also invited to attend the event.
• Quest Speakers from University of Southern California Cinematic Department.
• Some members of other diplomatic corps in Lagos.
• Commissioner for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Lagos State Government, Honorable Folorunsho Folarin-Coker